Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Lesson Learned

Usually, a midweek trip to the market has the potential to shake –up my budget. However, unlike most visits where I am skating down the aisles; today I am not in a rush so I have time to look for the unmarked sales. It’s me and the senior citizens LOL! I’m picking up 4 pounds of ‘greens’ for my mom at $.49/pound and there is this older lady around 80s-90s (Bless Her Heart!) there with me picking through. As I reach up to the top to grab a bundle of greens she smacks my hand away as if I was reaching into fire. I’m SHOCKED! I don't know this lady! Then she points her finger at me and says “The stems weigh the most! Just because the leaf is big and pretty doesn’t mean it’s gonna taste good." In my mind I'm thinking the greens are only $.49/pound so what if I go over $2. Naw...so what is not the answer! It’s this type of thinking and behavior that gets me into trouble. $2 was the budgeted amount and that is what I should stick to.
Lesson learned: Be observant and respectful for the wisdom elders pass on...those big pretty leaves could have cost me.

No comments: