Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Dealing with A Creditor

For about 3 weeks I've been called from a 1-800 # (creditor). Immediately, I re-subscribed to www.annualcreditreport.com to find nothing unusual (sigh). So why is this annoying creditor calling 4~5 times a day? Hesitantly, I called the creditor to find out who they are and why the frequent calls. I don't think the line rang one complete time before a rep answered.

Me: Hello, could I please have the name, address, phone and fax number of your company?

Straight up, the rep goes into speed mode reading some rehearsed BS about collecting a debt...wonk..wonk...wonk.

Me: Excuse me, could you also include the original creditor, account number and last date of activity on the account please?

Rep: Verify your name, SS#, address, and DOB?

Me: I stated my name initially when I called. I will NOT provide any other information during this call! Please answer the previous questions.

Rep: Mam, we are here to help you...
Word?! BS! Two can play at this game since the rep was trying to play me.

Me: You are a third party debt collector, as in, not the original creditor. Previously, I've requested that you cease all communication with me and you have chosen to continue. Your conduct thus far is unacceptable and borders on harassment. I do not wish to continue this call.

Rep: Wait! Our company information is... XXX Collections
NY, NY 12345
222-222-2222
Original Creditor
Account #
Thank you for calling! Click.
Dang! The rep hung up the phone quick...I guess they didn't want any trouble.

No comments: